Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 33: How Real Servants Act


You can learn a lot from a child. The other night my daughter told my wife at practice for our Christmas program that mama, my mom, looks like God's wife. I chuckled when I heard this. When I asked her what she meant, she smiled and said mama is the perfect wife for God. My wish is to have someone tell me that I am the perfect companion for God.

Point to Ponder: I serve God by serving others.

Verse to Remember: "If you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded." Matthew 10:42

Question to Consider: Which of the six characteristics of real servants offers the greatest challenge to me?

One of the toughest aspects of being a servant is lowering yourself while elevating others. It's against human nature to lower yourself and to elevate the needs of others. It's against what the world puts out as the model for behavior. Our world teaches us it's all about me. But God teaches us that it's all about other people.

Real servants make themselves available. This is a tough one. It's easy to serve at our convenience. What about when it's inconvenient for us to serve? What about when meeting the needs of others throws off our plans? Being a servant means letting God control our schedules and allowing Him to interrupt it whenever he needs to. That's a hard thing for us to give up, control. We love to be in control. But being true servants means that God controls our lives.

Real servants are also faithful to our ministries. There were so many times when I felt discouraged and just wanted to quit. I cried many nights and asked God to show me what to do. But every time I've been tempted to quit, something always talks me out of it. I'm so glad I didn't give up during those times of discouragement. I believe there's a purpose for everything that has happened in my life, and even those times of discouragement had a purpose for me. Hang in there and continue fighting. Remember, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. i enjoyed this chapter very much. What i've learned from this chapter is that patience comes from understanding. In order to become patient, i would have to expect to receive or deliver what im being patient for. So no matter what, i will always be settled in knowing that what im waiting on will arrive.... whether its tomorrow or years from now. i look at Jesus and how he was always serving the people and he never gave up hope. Thats because he knew his purpose and one day, all will come to surface and his work will be complete. He never put blame on people who deliberately went against him because he knew what was to come. And in time, these people will see why Jesus continued to turn his other cheek. He didn't mind that he had to give up his life for us because he knew the end game. He believed in his cause to the point that it was his reality day in and day out. i cried when i thought about how thankful i am for Jesus, who limited himself by dying and did it so that we can understand his reality. and for that, i accept his reality with open arms and will constantly strive to be at peace with myself because i have him to lean on. Patience will always find..... Praise and Love

    ReplyDelete