Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 34: Thinking Like A Servant

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Years. I know our timeline was to finish the book by Christmas, but things happened and I wasn't able to do it. I am sincerely sorry about that. I am committed to finishing the book this week Friday. A chapter a day this week. Thank you to those who sent helpful reminders that I wasn't updating as I should have been. But it has been a wonderful journey and I pray that you're getting as much out of the book as I am. On to today's reading.

Points to Ponder: To be a servant, I must think like a servant.

Verse to Remember: "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:5

Question to Consider: Am I usually more concerned about being served or finding ways to serve others?

This chapter is a wonderful illustration of what God expects from us. He wants us to be real servants. And real servants think less of themselves and more of others. Many of us, and I'm guilty of this myself, tend to serve with ulterior motives sometimes. When I was in high school, our National Honor Society had a service component. We were required to do community service work. It had a good purpose, teaching young people the value of serving the community. But I felt that with it being compulsory, it wasn't as valuable as if it were voluntary. But I guess the aim of the program was to introduce us to the concept of service, and then after the program we would do it on our own. Service should never be about you. It should always be about others.

Another important lesson I got from this chapter was not to compare our service with anyone else. Don't get into the habit of saying, well I'm better than so and so because look at all I'm doing compared to that other person. We were all called to serve and we all accepted the call. If my brother doesn't show up for his obligation, it shouldn't mean that I don't have to go either. Don't get mad if other people don't fulfill their service obligations. Worry only about yours. You committed to serve IRREGARDLESS of the commitment of others.

And finally, expect to be criticized. When we serve Jesus, the world will criticize us because they don't understand where our service comes from: a deep, abounding love for Christ. Even His disciples criticized Him. So don't let the critics mute your service. You made a commitment to God. Keep it.

2 comments:

  1. i thought about the false power that i used to get when people would do things for me or when i would do something extraordinary for others for self glory. What i failed to realize was that no matter how independent i felt i was, i was being dependent on another's services. Or when i did something to make me feel better about myself, i was dependent on others' astonished expressions and great remarks to make me feel good about myself. If i wanted the world, i would be dependent upon one simply existing!! The point i am trying to make is that we are all connected with each other. We all need each other in a specific or general way.... i mean there are times when i can feel like a sign was shown or i was called to do something for God at some random moment.... and when it is, i realize that God is depending on us too you see? And i can't count how many times i have been looking to or for God for support. i ask myself, why is it that independence is one of the most sought after ways of living and being? It is such a lonely position to be in when i think about an eternity by myself. so i admit that i am always a dependent with a smile. Love and Praise....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, just got to this chapter in the book today. To me it spoke volumes on not waiting until circumstances are ideal to serve, but that God can bless our service "as is." i.e. we had some unexpected guests last month. My immediate reaction was, "oh no, I should've cleaned more.. bought more food.. got new curtains..(etc)" instead of praising God for the unexpected chance for fellowship and to serve by hosting his people.

    Another part that jumped out at me was that God would rather have the service of 1,000 mediocre people than the excellent service of an elite few. To me it means that God can use my mediocre home, talents, service..and He can bless them if done with a pure intent.

    Have a blessed Tuesday y'all.

    ReplyDelete