Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 30: Shaped For Serving God


Our lay minister had a great message yesterday. He said that as Christmas is getting closer, many people are looking forward to opening their gifts. But soon those gifts will get old once their shine wears off. But if we base our joy in what lasts, then our joy will never fade. Paul says to rejoice in the Lord always. He's promised to be with us until the end of time. So this Christmas, make sure your joy is based on the eternal, not the temporary. Be blessed.

Points to ponder: I was shaped for serving God.

Verse to remember: "God works through different men in different ways, but it is the same God who achieved His purposes through them all. " 1 Corinthians 12:6

Questions to consider: In what way can I see myself passionately serving others and loving it?

My response:
This chapter gives us an acrostic for servive: SHAPE. The S stands for spiritual gifts, H is for heart, A is for abilities, P is for personality and E is for enthusiasm. The first two are discussed in this chapter.

We're each blessed with different spiritual gifts. The key is for us to recognize them and to use them. Sometimes we can fall into the trap the devil sets for us in being envious of each others' spiritual gifts.

The h stands for heart or passion. I was told at a very young age by my father to not love what I do, but do what I love. There is a huge difference in meaning if you invert that last sentence. Being forced to love what you're doing can lead to a very dissatified and unfulfilled life. But doing what you love, what you're passionate about, can make a world of difference. I could make a lot more money in business, but my heart is teaching and working with young people.

For a few years out of college, I bounced from job to job, never really being satisfied. Not until I started teaching Sunday School, did I find my real passion: working with young people. I found myself sitting at work Mondays through Fridays thinking about what I'm going to be teaching on Sundays. The different ways I can bring the material alive for my kids, making it relevant in their lives. So I finally told myself, why are you doing this part time, why not do it every day. And that's how I found my calling in life, to teach. I still teach Sunday School and youth group, but I've also found that I'm just as passionate teaching kids in my high school classes.

That's the key about service, find your gifts and use them to serve God. Only when we use our gifts can we get the passion to serve Him. If I was forced to play piano and teach the choir, I suppose I could do it if I took lessons. But my heart wouldn't be in it because that's not my passion. Use your gifts and passion to serve the Lord. Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment