Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 20: Restoring Broken Fellowship


The more mature I get, the more I realize how simple life really is. For a large part of my life, I've spent chasing the wind of money, success and acceptance from people. But I've realized that the only things that really matter are things that are eternal: your relationship with God, your family and your fellow believers.

Point to Ponder: Relationships are always worth restoring.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER

Who do I need to restore a broken relationship today?

Verse to remember: "Do everything that is possible on your part to live in peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

My response:

A good friend of mine text messaged me last week and said that he lost a close friend. He was at his death bed and was able to pray with him and his family because he was only given 48 hours to live. When I think of my families own troubles with illness, I've thought a lot about mortality lately. And this chapter just kind of drove home the importance of relationships and how we shouldn't let them just hang in the balance.

Time is of the essence for us to restore broken relationships. We don't know when God will call us. Our time is limited, so please make every attempt to mend broken relationships. I understand there are some that are irreconcilable. But the ones you can restore, do it. Why wait? If you love someone, tell them you love them. Why wait? Relationships are all that in this life. A few chapters ago, we read that when people are on their death beds, they don't ask for anything but the people they've had relationships with. And my friend last week confirmed that for me. He asked for his family and friends to come so that he can say good bye.

To some extent, he was lucky because he knew his time was winding down. But there are people that are taken from us unexpectedly. Don't regret leaving things undone. Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. This chapter was really hard for me. I had shared earlier how I feel about relationships. I do not want to spend time working on a relationship if there is no mutuality or reciprocity.

    I ablsolutely do not like conflict. Perhaps that is why I cannot think of any broken relationships I have - just inactive ones (lol). I now learn that not having broken relationships is not necessary a good thing. I probably just tried my best to avoid any kind of conflict there.

    I am beginning to understand the importance of relationships. I used to think that the only relationship I needed to worry about is that of mine and God. But these chapters have made me realize that it would be impossible to have a good relationship with God if I do not have one with my fellows.

    ReplyDelete