Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 18: Experiencing Life Together


It's getting really cold outside. They say it might snow in central Texas tonight. That's not a usual occurrence. I hope everyone's bundled up here in Texas. This series continues to open up hearts to God's Word. Every day I get notes from people who testify what God is doing for them through this fellowship. I praise God for all of you and continuing our journey through His Word.

Point to Ponder: I need others in my life.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER

What one step can I take in my life to connect with another believer at a more genuine, more heart to heart level?

Verse to remember: "Share each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

My response:

We continue our discussion of fellowship. This chapter has allowed me to reevaluate my concept of fellowship. It talks about fellowship having a deeper meaning than just socializing and getting together as a church. We can do that, but sometimes at a very superficial way.

The deep fellowship that the Bible instructs, like in Galatians, tells us that we must bear each other's burdens and problems. The issue to me comes down to trust. Do we really trust each other to open up our hearts with all its imperfections to our brothers and sisters in Christ? Opening up makes you vulnerable and no one wants to be vulnerable. But if we have an abiding love and trust in each other, then we know that we have each other's best interest at heart.

There's a concept that we've started in our youth group about getting spiritual battle buddies. We encourage each other to find two or three close brothers and sisters in Christ to be your spiritual battle buddies. These are the people that we are accountable for in our walk with the Lord. We need support and encouragement, but we also need accountability. What I like about this chapter is the emphasis on small groups. Sometimes people can fall through the cracks of the bigger groups. That's why it's vital to have a small group of buddies that surround you and encourage you. We walk a spiritual minefield everyday and we need all the support and backup we can get. Be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I too am forced to reevaluate how I fellowship. I always fellowship was about getting together. I have always said I enjoy the fellowship I have at church or at church functions, but now I know that is not fellowship.

    From this chapter, I can say that our Bible studies are a form of fellowship. We often share more than just chit chat. I personally have found that sharing in each other's joy and listening while we share our hurts helps in our walk. We encourage each other and feed off each other's strengths and faith.

    As Al said, "trust" is the issue. I have a problem with trust. It takes time for me to trust others. I know this is an area in my life I need to work on. I am afraid of making myself feel vulnerable. With that, I know I am probably depriving myself from the wonderful support and understanding of others.

    I believe I am a trustful person. I am empathetic of people's situations and I expect people to trust me. This chapter says this has to be mutual. I am expecting others to trust me while I have a problem trusting them.

    So to answer the question about that step I need to take, I need to work on developing my trust in others. Allow them to share in both my joys and my burdens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this chapter on fellowship. When I was younger I'd fellowship daily with "friends" and acquaintances, but it was on a superficial level. These days, everyone is busy with work, family activities, and such that fellowship has to be scheduled in. Even though fellowship for me is more infrequent, it is more meaningful and encouraging when we do get together. I've found the beauty of having someone to turn to when I need prayer support or just a true shoulder to lean on.

    As a Christian, I am trying to sow more seeds of love and time in others and am enjoying the fruits in our fellowship. It's nice to know that there are people who are looking out for your best interests and in whom you can confide freely. For me, this is my physical and spiritual families.

    I wish everyone a wonderful, WARM weekend. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete