Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 28: It Takes Time


Getting closer and closer to Christmas. The anticipation is always the best part about this season of advent. All the possibilities that the baby of Christmas brings with Him. At the same time, I can't help but to see the cross in the distance. What began in an inn in Bethlehem, ended on a cross on Calvary. But what a journey it was. And continues to be.

Points to ponder: There are no shortcuts to maturity.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER: In what areas of my spiritual growth do I need to be more patient and persistent?

Verse to remember: "God began doing a good work in you, and I am sure He will continue it until it is finished when Jesus Christ comes again." Philippians 1:6

My response:

We live in such an instant gratification world. We want things done fast and we want them done now. I can't remember the last time I can't remember the last time I was inside a bank. I've used the drive through lane for as long as I've banked. And now I don't even use that anymore. I bank online and do everything from home. The only "face to face" transaction I have with my bank is when I go to the ATM to withdraw money. I even apply for loans from home.

What this has done has made me less patient. I have been conditioned to get things instantly. I need to know some information? I google it. I want to talk to someone? I call them, or text them, or facebook them, or twitter them. The world we live in isn't conducive to patience.

But spiritual maturity demands it. Just because we've turned our life over to Christ doesn't mean we're all good for the rest of our lives. It doesn't mean we won't be tempted or slip or fall. In fact, it takes a long time for us to mature as Christians. The chapter says it took us years to form our bad habits, and it will take years to unlearn them and learn new habits, new Christ-like habits. They say that character is the sum of you habits. Well, they only way we can get good character is by having good habits. And the only way to have good habits is by practicing them.

Our physical bodies didn't get into the shape their in today because of something that happened overnight. If you're in great shape, it took years of exercise and hard work to gain that shape. If you're in bad shape, it took years of bad habits for your body to get where it is today. The same thing is true of our spiritual bodies. Whatever shape it's in today, good, bad or in the middle, it's the result of years of habits. If you've accepted Christ as you Savior, you're on the right road. Be patient and keep forming those habits.

Tama says every time you practice good habits, your making a deposit into your character account. Every time you practice integrity, your making a deposit. Every time you practice kindness, you're making a deposit. And then one day when you need it, you can make that withdrawal. I believe that's spiritual maturity. So keep making those character deposits. It will come in handy on our spiritual journey. Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment