Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 25: Transformed By Trouble


I apologize for being off line for a week. I came down with a bad case of the flu and some other things got in the way. This is a perfect illustration of how the clutter of life can get in the way of our spiritual journey. But on to the end.

Point to Ponder: There is a purpose behind every problem.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER

What problem in my life has caused the greatest growth in me?

Verse to remember: "And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

My response:

For a long time, I've considered problems as something to be avoided. I looked at trials as some form of punishment from God for a wrongdoing I'd committed. But with spiritual maturity, I've come to realize that problems are a natural part of life. In fact, it's a part of our spiritual journey.

Over and over in the Bible, we are told that trials serve a purpose: to make us stronger. Jesus said that in this world, we will face trouble. Paul said that troubles will make us stronger, build endurance and produce character. That's how I've come to view troubles: character building. They mold me and make me stronger. And God has promised never to give us more than what we can endure.

When I face trouble now, I don't ask "why me" but "what can I learn from this?" I can't believe to tell you how transformative that change has been in my life. My father was recently diagnosed with a major disease. Instead of saying "woe is me", I said, "God I know you have a purpose for this. Please show us." And I truly believe that we are transformed by trials. My dad preached on Sunday saying that a lot of us know ABOUT Jesus, but many don't know who He is. I would venture to say that troubles brings us a lot closer to Jesus than good times. Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of the metaphor that Tama often uses during his laugas. He said that the darker the night, the more clearly you can see the light of the stars. In other words the darker your life is with challenges, the brighter God's light shines.

    May the light of the baby of Christmas permeate our lives and give us hope during this season and throughout the rest of the year.

    I am encouraged by these posts. Please continue to be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete