Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A plug


A lot of you that read this blog are Samoan. I just wanted to take a second and put in a plug for a wonderful website that's recently come online. It's called http://www.tusitalasamoa.com/ I am a big proponent of Samoan culture. I believe that it goes hand in hand with my Christian faith. When the missionaries first arrived in Samoa, they were welcomed with open arms. The Samoans simply removed their ancient religion and replaced it with Christianity.

They have been hand in hand ever since. The culture encouraging and protecting the faith, and the faith doing the same to the culture. Some people disagree with this, but I believe that they make beautiful music.

The website I mentioned has to do with Samoan sayings, or proverbial expressions. It's done by an uncle of mine, Fofo Sunia. He is a real authority on Samoan culture. He's written several books on the subject. In fact, he just released a Samoan history textbook. The website details stories, customs and proverbs that Samoans use in everyday life. The only drawback for some is that it's in the Samoan language. But perhaps its a good place to practice your Samoan. I encourage you to pass it on to your elders or to people that you know would benefit from reading it. It's a goldmine of resources for the Samoan culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment