Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grace undeserved

The problem with trying to earn our salvation is that we can never be ahead on the tally sheet. If life were a zero sum game, then there's no way we can make it into heaven. If we were to add up all our sins against all of our good acts, we would not come close to salvation. No matter how many good works we do, we can never overcome the sin category. That's why God looked down and saw that an atonement was needed in order for us to have our slates wiped clean.

Christ left His glory in heaven to die on the cross so that we could be forgiven through faith in Him. He didn't have to come to earth and suffer as He did. But God offered His one and only Son to be an atonement for the sins of the world. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by that sacrifice. That He would think that much of ME. Like the words of one of my favorite song goes, "Who am I that the Lord of all the earth, would dare to know my name?" I am humbled being words by that knowledge. That God would love me so much that He would do that for me.

His sacrifice was based on His love, not on our merit. Nothing I did deserved this act. The only thing that explains it is God's love, His grace. Grace is an unearned blessing to unworthy sinners. Now that I have been saved by this awesome love, I work FROM the cross, knowing that all of my actions are a response to that sacrifice done for me on Calvary all those years ago. And even then, I know that there's nothing, absolutely nothing I could do to repay that love. I guess that's why they call it grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment