Saturday, September 5, 2009

I pray for you...you pray for me


One of my favorite stations that I listen to on the radio is K-LOVE. It's a national Christian radio station that also streams live on their website at klove.com. One of the things I love about this station is that it has no commercials. Instead of commercials, it provides encouraging messages and testimonials. They are a commerical free station.


Last month as I was driving home, I heard a young woman give a message of encouragement involving prayer. She said she had always been looking for ways to improve and add discipline to her prayer life. One day while flipping through her phone looking for someone's number, she realized that she had over two hundred numbers in her address book. And a lot of the people in there, she hasn't talked to in a long time. Sometimes years. But they were all in her phonebook. Then the idea struck her. Why not pray for these people. That was a steady system of prayer for people.


So she started doing that. Each day, she'd pray for five people in her phone book. She would pray for God's blessing on them. She would pray for God to heal any hurts they had. And she prayed that they would find contenment and joy in their lives. I thought to myself, she was actively standing in the gap for these people. I loved the idea and wanted to try it out for myself. So in the beginning of August, I tried it. Instead of five people, I pray for two people in my phonebook. It forced me to think of others' needs before my own. I fervently prayed for God to bless other people. Some of them I hadn't talked to in years. But here I was, communicating FOR them.


I encourage you to try it. It's such an awesome feeling and it adds discipline to your prayer life. During my quiet times, this has become a regular part of them. I praise God for this opportunity. And it was all due to me listening to K-LOVE. On that note, K-LOVE is a listener supported station. As I said, they don't take any advertisers, but depend on their listerners donations to operate. So it you have any tithing that has not benn allocated, I encourage you to send it to them. It's an extremely important ministry that is free of charge. If there's no K-LOVE station in your area, you can always listen to them online.

No comments:

Post a Comment