Tuesday, May 26, 2009

John Wayne has left the building


I apologize for not posting during the long holiday weekend. It's been hectic since Friday, and only now am I able to sit down and get back online. The Governor of American Samoa visited over the weekend with the First Lady. Our church was the host and we had a great time with them. It's the first time I've met them and I have a new appreciation for what they do. The schedules they keep are ridiculous. Just on our little weekend, they had events for most of the two days - almost every minute filled with something to do. And every time they have to go to a function, they have to be "up" for it, no matter what. It doesn't matter if they're tired, or sick or just don't feel good. The public expects the best from them. Most of the people they encounter, including myself, will remember the little time we spent with them for a lifetime. So that's why it's so important for them to be at their best when they're out in the public.

I saw them talk to every person that wanted an audience with them. They spent as much time as they could with each person, and accommodated every picture request. I just marveled at them. On Saturday and Sunday, they must have spent at least an hour after their events posing for pictures and visiting with people. That would have worn me out. But one of their security people told me that's how it is in Samoa all the time. I had a chance to ask them where they get their energy, their strength. The answer they gave me was prayer. They said they pray every morning, and they also realize that many, many people lift them up in prayer all the time. And they could really feel those prayers.

Wow! What an awesome feeling to know that thousands of people are praying for you everyday. And we can do that for each other. Lift each other up in prayer. I know our prayer meeting group lifts all the soldiers and the families of the church in prayer. But we can practice that on a personal level as well. Choose someone to pray about everyday. A family member, a co-worker, or someone like the Governor and our political leaders. Also lift servants of God up in your prayers daily. People need prayers. I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the prayers of others.

A final note on the Governors visit...well, final for now. The Women's Fellowship gave him and the First Lady gifts to remember Texas by. The First Lady got a purse from Texas and they both got matching cowboy hats. As soon as the Governor got his hat, he put it on his head. He said when he was young he used to go to the theater in Samoa and watch old cowboy movies with John Wayne. Now with his hat, he felt like he was John Wayne. He didn't take that hat off for the rest of the to'ana'i. That's the Governor with his John Wayne hat up top.

Well, I thought he was just being nice. When the van pulled out to take him back to the guest house and people were waiving at him, he said, "John Wayne has left the building." LOL And when we saw him at the airport the next morning, guess what he was wearing? The John Wayne hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment