Sunday, August 2, 2009

To the moon

Many of us remember Neil Armstrong's first words on the moon: "This is one small step for man, but one giant leap for mankind." But few know the first meal on the moon. Buzz Aldrin took a tiny communion kit from his church with him. Aldrin sent a radio broadcast to earth asking listeners to contemplate the events of that day and to give thanks.

Then, in radio blackout for privacy, Aldrin poured wine into a silver chalice. He read, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit” (John 15:5). Silently, he gave thanks and partook of the bread and cup.

God is everywhere. We are told that wherever we are, God is also present. Whether we are in His sanctuary or thousands of miles from Earth on the surface of the moon, God is intimately present with us.

Are you far from home? Are you on a mountaintop or a dark valley? God is just a prayer away. Let me close with one of my favorite all time hymns. Actually, it's just this verse of the hymn. It is so deep and moving in so many ways, that every time I sing it, I get goosebumps.

Just a closer walk with thee
Grant it Jesus is my plea
Daily walking close to thee
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Have a blessed communion Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment