Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Schedule adjustments

We had just finished Youth group practice Friday night. We are preparing for our annual family night fundraiser. This year the Youth group is doing an international theme. They are doing dances from different regions around the world. That night, they were working on an Indian number. They are also doing a Latin number, a European dance as well as a Japanese geisha dance by the boys. Don't ask. LOL

And then my phone rang. It was a call that would alter my family's life immensely. We were asked to be caregivers for two children from our church. They were going through some problems that caused them to be placed into protective custody of the state. If we didn't take them, they would be placed into the system and could be placed with families from anywhere in the state. In fact, they told us that the families of these kids may not see them again for a while because they could be placed in El Paso, or Brownsville or wherever there was room for them. We didn't have much time to deliberate. It was getting close to eleven o'clock at night. My wife and I looked at each other, said a quick prayer and said: Yes. We accepted because it was in the best interest of the children.

We knew our routines would be disrupted and that our schedules would have had to be adjusted. We work very hard to try and provide a normal schedule for our one child. Now we had to do it for TWO additional children. It had taken us over four years to finally get a routine for our little one and it was constant adjustments an reconfiguring just for ONE child. It was beginning to become overwhelming. As we ran around that night and the next day looking for playpens, high chairs and mattresses, we looked at each other and said. "what have we gotten ourselves into?" But perhaps the person that was making the biggest sacrifice was my daughter. All of a sudden, her space was invaded by two other children. Where she had free run of the house, now she was having to share it. Not that it's a bad thing, but she was just thrown into the situation without any warning or any time to prepare and ease her into the transition. If we were having a hard time, I could only imagine what she must be going through.

I was the serving deacon for communion last Sunday. As I was praying for the blood of Christ, I realized our sacrifice was a shadow of His sacrifice on the cross. Here I was complaining about adjustments to my schedule and whatnot. But at least I wasn't asked to give up my life. At least I wasn't asked to sacrifice my child so that sinners could be reconciled and have a bridge to eternity. I guess I needed the perspective to put things in context. When burdens become unbearable think of what was done for you and me at Calvary. It doesn't mean that my situation will be all peaches and cream. But it does make me realize that there are millions of people out there that have it worse than me. There are soldiers in harms way fighting for my freedom. There are missionaries in dangerous places spreading the Gospel. We each have our calling. I guess this is my family's calling. To do our part to help better the lives of two children. Or as my wife would often put it - "Invest in the children". Please keep us in your prayers. And keep the families of these children in your prayers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment