Thursday, August 6, 2009

Jesus Take The Wheel

I'm a firm believer that the most important ingredient for a Christian is faith. Without it, our belief system crumbles. Faith is a huge part of who we are as Christians. The Bible describes faith as "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1). In the last ten days, I've really had to lean on my faith to make it through.

I had lunch yesterday with my brother who lost a child last week. Speaking to him was heart wrenching as he shared his sorrow and pain with me. He said the one thing that has sustained him through this is his faith that he will be reunited with his son one day. And he said the pain hasn't gone away, but he's taking it one day at a time. I'm reminded of that Carrie Underwood song, "Jesus Take the Wheel." The chorus goes like this:

Jesus, take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus, take the wheel
This is one of the top recording songs in the history of country music. And these lyrics explain perfectly the reason the song touches so many people everyday. It's about a woman who's had a tough time lately and driving home she lost control. Literally, she let go of her wheel and asked Jesus to take over. Metaphorically, it speaks a truth that we can all relate to. It essentially, is a sermon on faith. When we've lost all other hope, we turn to Jesus. That's what faith is. We blindly believe that Jesus will see us through our darkest hours. When we can no longer endure, we let Him take over.
And in the end, through all the shattered pieces that our lives sometimes become, we begin to pick up. But when the car is spinning and we aren't in control, we ask Jesus to take the wheel. And that's the stage I believe my brother's in. He's asking Jesus to take the wheel. I'm just thankful we have someone to turn to in our darkest hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment