Thursday, October 15, 2009

Yellow belts


An update on our taekwondo girl. I wrote last month that my daughter was taking taekwondo classes. This is something that's really got her interested. She looks forward to these classes every week. And she's always willing to show you her new moves. It's given her a sense of confidence that she didn't have before.

Today was her big test day. This is the test that determines whether she gets to go to the next level, signified by a different color belt. Since she started about six weeks ago, she's been a beginner white belt. She's already memorized the sequence of belts and has been looking forward to getting her yellow belt. She's worked hard in memorizing her rules and learning her different kicks and blocks. Even though she's four, she mixes it up pretty well with the older kids. (Alert, that was my proud parent, bragging moment. There may be more of those. LOL) She invited her grandparents and aunt and uncle to see her test. She was so excited.

Her mom and I were a different story. We were nervous wrecks. What if she didn't pass her test? Would that crush her? How would she handle that type of disappointment? She was taking it all in stride. At her test, she was loose and did well. As she stood with all the other kids and went through her test, I was so proud o her. That she saw something she worked so hard for come to a successful end.

As I looked at her today, I can't imagine loving anyone or anything more in this world. I didn't know my heart had so much love in it. She is our only child now. And she may be our only child ever. I shudder to think what my life would be like without her. And then I think of God. One thing we share is that we only have one child. How in the world could He have sacrificed His one and only child for me? For a sinner. For people who hate Him. I know I couldn't do it. If God asked me to sacrifice my daughter, I wouldn't be able to do it. Which makes His sacrifice even more real to me. In a way, my daughter has expanded my capacity to love. Not only her, but God. Another gift she has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment