Saturday, June 13, 2009

Older and wiser

An update on the commencement address that I talked about last month. For a quick update, I have been waiting years for some school to invite me to be their commencement speaker. But, it still has not happened. My wife says I may wait a long time. LOL But I am undaunted. I will write the speech and wait for my chance to give it. Good things come to those who wait. Hopefully, not in vain. :-)

Anyways, I recently attended a graduation celebration where the faifeau exalted the graduate to seek wisdom, not knowledge. He read from Psalms and also Proverbs about how wisdom should be cherished above knowledge and how knowledge is good to attain, but shouldn't overtake wisdom. He went on to explain the difference between the two. I came home thinking that this is not a new concept, since King David and Solomon wrote about it thousands of years ago. But what is also not new is that we have to repeat it to the youth throughout the ages.

The curse of the young is they think they know it all. I guess that's part of the maturation process. People who are young think the world revolves around them. And then they grow up and realize how smart their parents were. Amazing isn't it? All those oke's your mom and dad used to give us, we now use on our own children. I swore I would raise my daughter better than my parents raised me. But on some days, I think back and say to myself, how in the world did my parents have all the answers because I sure don't.

I think the key for any maturing Christian is discernment, to know from right and wrong. That's Biblical wisdom. Anyone can gain knowledge from going on Wikipedia or google. But to gain wisdom and discernment, it takes a lifetime of gaining knowledge and losing it. Of failing and then triumphing and then failing again. It takes a lifetime of trial and error. So the bottom line is the older I get, the more I realize the little I knew in my youth. Gosh, I sound so old. But at least I'm still young in spirit, a ea. Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment