Monday, February 22, 2010

He's waiting for us.

My pastor spoke about the unconditional love of God yesterday. He used one of my favorite stories, the prodigal son. Each time I hear this story, it speaks something different to me depending on the stage I'm in at that time of my life.

I've identified with both brothers in this story at one stage of my life or another. I was the younger son who was disobedient and brought shame to my family. There are things that I've done that I am deeply ashamed of. And for a long time, I thougt I would never be forgiven. I've also been the older brother who was angry at the attention others were getting. I've been bitter about the blessing that others got and was envious at times. But what was always the same was how my father treated me. My father always loved me, whether I was the prodigal or his older brother. I always wondered how he could love me after all the things I've done in my life. Today, for the first time in my life, I could empathize with my dad.

I look at my daughter and I see instantly what that Father went through. No matter what she does, I will still love her. I will never abandon her or forsake her. Sometimes I need to punish her and redirect her behavior. But it doesn't mean I will stop loving her. My prayer is that I am as merciful and full of grace towards her as my father was to me and God is to all of us.

Paul said nothing in this world can separate us from the love of God. Nothing makes Him happier than for us to come home. Let's not keep Him waiting. Be blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Unconditional love- love under any condition. i believe that true "love" is "unconditional love" and it took me a long time to realize that. i used to ask myself, "what is the point of having any of the other emotions when love is all that matters anyway?" What i learned is that i needed to experience the other emotions in order to appreciate and understand what love is. Why do we put levels on love? All that does is makes us put people in certain levels of importance according to what "love circle" they fall under.
    i don't believe God has a first when it comes to love and his children because we are all unique in our own way and we all own a significant part in his everlasting existence. Like when dealing with my kids, i realized that i am especially fond of all of them for their own unique ways. And my relationship with one is totally different from my relationship with the other and so on. With that in mind, how can i really compare one with the other? Its apples and oranges. Whats the point in comparing them when i already admit that they're totally different from another? How do you find a true winner anyway when each is a winner in their own right? The winner for skinniest produces a winner for biggest, winner for furthest produces a winner for closest, winner for highest produces a winner for lowest, etc.
    Thats how wonderful we are, and how we can appreciate our father's power. Think about all the individual relationships you have in your life. Not one is close to being like the other in its fullness. You literally have a unique bond with each person you've met in your entire life. So whats the use of comparisons when its understood that each bond is unique in its own way? To compare means we aren't satisfied with the differences. It means that we don't believe in the significance that the differences provide for our own growth and understanding. Can you imagine a world where there were just Samoans in it? Is that an ideal world for you? Well that kind of world is an example of how some ideals when brought to an ultimate light would manifest, but i think the idea of that kind of magnitude of "dissatisfication with difference" would ultimately manifest to one person left standing.....and then noone. i do not want that kind of ideal world but i understand now how i used to accept that kind of world(in all fashions) idealy.
    Thats why i try to remember unconditional love because it sets everything in its place, God willing!! Unconditional love- love with no boundaries, love with no end.....God, lol! Praise and Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an encouragement to know that we have a Father, Abba, who has always and will always love us. This concept was central in a recent "heated discussion" I had with some loved ones from a different religion. They serve the Lord (Heavenly Father), but their version of Him was totally different from the Father that I serve.. to me it seemed like they had to do x,y, and z in order to be "worthy" enough for His love, when my Father loves me regardless of my past and present circumstances. He loves me for me, including all the baggage and filth that resides in me at times and the hurt i've caused.
    As Roja stated, "unconditional love sets everything in its place." Nothing we did or do can ever earn even the smallest speck of love that radiates continuously from our Lord and Savior.

    love in Christ..

    P.S. Roja, I saw a movie called "Another Perfect Stranger." You should watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To anonymous,
    i find myself writing this because i was moved by the essence of your blog. This might seem so small but i believe that it will help give you some clarity about your feelings on your recent discussion with your family. As i read your entry i felt an upbeat rhythm of love wanting to become witnessed and a cry for God in prayer to help. Then it slowed down right at the end of your entry when you wrote "love in Christ"....there lies your peace of mind. That line tells your whole situation and answers the question of how to keep your faith but also reestablish it with an added dynamic to your understanding. Take that line and reverse it, and you will find your answer. "Christ in love". Meditate on it, i know it will make you grow..... P.S. looking forward to watching that movie! Praise and Love

    ReplyDelete