Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Adonijah - The Lord is my God

When we suffer pain and loss, we often ask 'If God is with us, why has this happened?' Sadly, we also tend to question if God really loves us. For if a father loves his children, then why would God let us feel pain as great as this. The Bible supplies no explanation of the events that take place in our daily lives. I've searched over and over and it doesn't tell me why this happened or that happened. But what it does tell me is how to deal with situations, particularly how to deal with adversity. But we can hold fast to the words of Isaiah: 'Who walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the Lord.'

In fact, the Bible tells us over and over that this life is filled with pain. Jesus told us directly that in this world, we will suffer. We will face tragedies. But don't let tragedy steal your trust in God. When all things seem to be against you, remember that God is for you. I find it strangely comforting that when Jesus faced pain, He responded much as I do. It comforts me that He cried when His friend Lazarus died. It tells me that He cares. He feels the pain of death, of loss, of separation. I know that the world we live in is our temporary home, but it still does not make the sting of death any less. I know that we will all be reunited in heaven one day. But it doesn't fill he void in your life and the aching of your heart.

Last night at approximately 8pm, death visited my family once again. My brother Faga's youngest son Adonijah was called home to be with the Lord. To compound the tragedy, Faga is currently serving his second tour in Iraq. He would have been home next week for his R&R. Now he gets to come home for a very different reason. Please keep him and Crystal and their boys in your prayers. My father named Adonijah. It is a Hebrew word that means 'The Lord is my God.' A beautiful name for a beautiful baby boy. Let his name be our comfort in this dark hour: 'The Lord is my God.'

No comments:

Post a Comment