Monday, July 27, 2009

Lessons from the road


Just returned from a weekend in New Mexico tired, but refreshed. There were several lessons I learned this weekend. I've shared with you before the importance of getting away to recharge and renew physically and spiritually.

The last getaway I had we flew out to California. This time we drove to New Mexico. There's definitely a big difference between flying and driving. I spent a total of twenty hours on the road. It was soothing in its own right. I got to observe the scenery. Granted, there's not much scenery in west Texas and New Mexico. But upon second glance, there was quite a lot. There mountains and canyons, lakes and rivers, and plains and plateaus. I know, it sounds like vocabulary from Geography class, but it made me realize how vast our world is. I often read about how overcrowded our world is becoming, but you wouldn't notice it from driving just a few hours in one little corner of the world. There is so much land out there that the wildlife can roam untethered for days. It's just awesome how vast the works of our Lord is. He did this all in just seven days.

As big as the world seems, it also made me realize just how small I am in the greater scheme of things. But as small as I am, God loved me enough to send His only begotten Son to die for me. The Bible says that before we were even born, Christ died for us. I want to say what a wonderful drive my family and I had Sunday. And I owe a lot of it to a good friend of mine, Mr. V, who was kind enough to load our IPOD with over 4,000 songs. And just Samoan songs. We were able to listen to different spiritual albums during the entire ten hours. From LMS choirs, to Catholic choirs, to Pentecostal groups. You name it, we probably listened to it. Music has the power to take you places in different ways. I felt like I was in church with the Malaeloa choir. I felt like I was at a revival listening to Mana o Vi'iga. Or at a mafutaga listening to the Samoa College choir. Music moves, encourages, motivates and comforts.

So on a Sunday afternoon, take a drive out into the country. Admire the works of God's hands and thank Him for all He has done for you. Take a CD of gospel music, or better yet take an IPOD and load it up with all your favorites. Beautiful music, in the company of those you love, out in nature. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment